Oscar Wilde Quotes, you’ll be able to see life through a different lens. Its Humorous Side Life Quotes by Oscar Wilde for Inquiring Minds.
He was a revolutionary in both his ideas and deeds, but because of his preferences, he was prosecuted and found guilty of sodomy.
However, Oscar Wilde’s ambition to express his ideas to the public was unaffected by life in prison. The Ballad of Reading Gaol, one of his best-known poems, was released in 1898 as a protest against the deteriorating circumstances in prisons.
Inspirational Oscar Wilde Quotes
1. “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” — Oscar Wilde
2. “I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.” — Oscar Wilde
3. “Everyone may not be good, but there’s always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” — Oscar Wilde
4. “No man is rich enough to buy back his past.” — Oscar Wilde
5. “True friends stab you in the front.” — Oscar Wilde
6. “It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.” — Oscar Wilde
7. “Men always want to be a woman’s first love; women like to be a man’s last romance.” — Oscar Wilde
8. “Between men and women, there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.” — Oscar Wilde
9. “Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.” — Oscar Wilde
10. “I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” — Oscar Wilde
11. “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.” — Oscar Wilde
12. “There are only two tragedies in life—one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it.” — Oscar Wilde
13. “Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there are only individuals.” — Oscar Wilde
14. “I have nothing to declare except my genius.” — Oscar Wilde
15. “Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing.” — Oscar Wilde
16. “It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But it is better to be good than to be ugly.” — Oscar Wilde
17. “There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” — Oscar Wilde
18. “The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.” — Oscar Wilde
19. “A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.” — Oscar Wilde
20. “Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.” — Oscar Wilde
21. “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” — Oscar Wilde
22. “You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you have never had the courage to commit.” — Oscar Wilde
23. “Success is a science; if you have the conditions, you get the result.” — Oscar Wilde
24. “Whenever a man does a thoroughly stupid thing, it is always from the noblest motives.” — Oscar Wilde
25. “They’ve promised that dreams can come true, but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too.” — Oscar Wilde
26. “He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.” — Oscar Wilde
27. “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and a richness to life that nothing else can bring.” — Oscar Wilde
28. “The answers are all out there, we just need to ask the right questions.” — Oscar Wilde
29. “With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?” — Oscar Wilde
30. “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” — Oscar Wilde
31. “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.” — Oscar Wilde
32. “Questions are never indiscreet, answers sometimes are.” — Oscar Wilde
33. “The world is divided into two classes—those who believe the incredible and those who do the improbable.” — Oscar Wilde
34. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” — Oscar Wilde
35. “Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.” — Oscar Wilde
36. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” — Oscar Wilde
37. “Everything in moderation, including moderation.” — Oscar Wilde
38. “Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.” — Oscar Wilde
39. “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” — Oscar Wilde
40. “To define is to limit.” — Oscar Wilde
41. “A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction.” — Oscar Wilde
42. “The very essence of romance is uncertainty.” — Oscar Wilde
43. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” — Oscar Wilde
44. “Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing.” — Oscar Wilde
45. “The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.” — Oscar Wilde
Irish poet Oscar Wilde spent the most of his life expressing his distinct viewpoint through writing and speech.
Even if you don’t know much about him, chances are you’ve read some of his well-known works, such The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest.
He covered a wide range of subjects, including authority, beauty, and misery.
Although Oscar Wilde wrote on complex intellectual subjects, no one has ever been able to equal his singular style.
He had an abundance of wit, originality, and imagination. To learn more about him, browse our selection of articles below!
Did These Oscar Wilde Quotes Open Your Eyes to New Perspectives? Many people were unaware that Oscar Wilde was afflicted with cerebral meningitis. This is due to the fact that Wilde was incredibly intelligent, innovative, and creative. Even in his final years, he never lost his wit.
His works serve as a constant reminder for us to strive to live amazing lives. One needs to be true and authentically themselves, upbeat, fearless, and curious to do that. After all, if we stayed in and never stepped outside of our comfort zones, so much of life would be lost.
More than that, his wit encourages us to laugh at ourselves and at others. Find joy and amusement in even the most mundane things, and let’s not take life too seriously. Also, keep in mind that the light will always find a way if we maintain an open mind to the possibilities of kindness even at our darkest periods.
Let Oscar Wilde’s perspectives on life, love, and comedy inspire you to live life purposefully. Be the best version of yourself and make the most of everything. Save this list as a bookmark right away so you may refer to it whenever you need a laugh or a boost.
Have you ever read anything by Oscar Wilde? Which quote resonated with you the most? Post your comments below!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Relationships Quotes5 years ago
337+ Relationship Quotes And Sayings
- Good Morning Quotes5 years ago
100 Good Morning Quotes with Beautiful Images
- Quotes4 years ago
300 Winnie The Pooh Quotes To Fill Your Heart With Joy
- Good Morning Quotes4 years ago
57 of the Good Morning Quotes And Images Positive Energy for Good Morning
- Good Morning Quotes5 years ago
35 of the Good Morning Quotes And Images Positive Energy for Good Morning
- Quotes3 years ago
35 Deep Heart Touching One Sided Love Quotes for Her
- Life Quotes5 years ago
284 Broken Heart Quotes About Breakup And Heartbroken Sayings
- Motivational Quotes4 years ago
265 Motivational & Inspirational Quotes About Life to Succeed